04-05 Transfer Guide Hokie Bird and link to Registrar Home


Transfer Requirementstwo students talking on a fall day on campus

Whether or not you have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, you still must meet minimum requirements for admission and must present academic records that are competitive with those of other applicants. All transfer applicants, including those who have completed an associate's degree, must have completed the following minimum requirements:

  • English - four high school units, or one transferable semester of college-level freshman English.
  • Math - three high school units, including algebra I and II and geometry. Preference will be given to those who complete math beyond algebra II. A fourth unit of math is required for engineering, building construction, computer science, geophysics, mathematics, physics, and statistics majors; it is also strongly recommended for majors in the Pamplin College of Business. The fourth unit of math must include one-half unit of trigonometry and one-half unit of advanced algebra or higher math. The minimum college equivalent would be 3 semester hours of transferable math equivalent to Tech's MATH 1015, Applied Calculus with Trigonometry, or MATH 1525, Calculus with Matrices.
  • Social Science - two high school units or one semester of a transferable college equivalent.
  • Laboratory Science - two high school units chosen from biology, chemistry, or physics or one semester of transferable college science, including laboratory.
  • Have a cumulative GPA of "C" (2.5 on a 4.0 scale) or better in all previous college work attempted.
  • Be in good standing at all colleges and universities attended.

Foreign Language Requirement

By the time students graduate from the university, a language study requirement must be met.

Foreign Language
For most majors the minimum requirement may be met in high school by completing 2 units of a single foreign or classical language (3 units for those students who will graduate from certain majors within Virginia Tech’s College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences and College of Science).

The requirement also may be met after admission by one of the following:

  1. Earning 6 semester hours of college-level foreign or classical language credit. Such credits are in addition to those normally required for graduation in a student's program of study.
  2. Receiving credit by examination for a foreign or classical language.

Choice of Major

Transfer applicants must select a specific major. Transfers may not enter Agriculture, Undecided (AGRI); Human Resources, Undecided (HR), or University Studies (US).


  1. A completed application for admission.
  2. A $40 non-refundable application fee; check or money order payable to Treasurer, Virginia Tech ($70 for international applications).
  3. A personal statement as outlined on the application for admission.
  4. Transcripts from every college or university attended. If you are currently enrolled, you should submit two official transcripts from your current institution after completion of at least one semester, plus official transcripts from every previous college in sealed envelopes. If you are not currently enrolled, please note that fact on the application form under "College Info" and submit two official transcripts from every previous college in sealed envelopes.
  5. Applicants should have completed at least one full semester of college work prior to submitting an application for admission.
  6. A list of current courses, if currently enrolled.
  7. An official or unofficial copy of final high school transcript.

International Student Requirements

  • A special application for undergraduate international transfer students is available online.
  • International applicants must meet all transfer requirements previously outlined, including submission of an SAT score or TOEFL score. International students whose native language is not English must have completed six semester hours of freshman English with grades of C or higher.
  • Non-English transcripts and documents must be submitted in original form, with a certified English translation.
  • A description of each course or subject studied (including textbook used and author) must be submitted. Applications without this information cannot be considered. Graduates of 13-year systems must submit syllabi for their final year of study. It is recommended that applicants seeking to transfer to Virginia Tech with any or all credentials from international educational system(s) have these transcripts evaluated by a professional credential evaluation service. Please note: This is a requirement of the Office of the University Registrar. Having this done will aid the Admissions Committee and the Office of the University Registrar who is responsible for transcript evaluation.
  • The following professional agencies are recommended by Virginia Tech:
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
P. O. Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3411
Web: www.ece.org
Global Credential Evaluators
P.O. Box 9203
College Station, TX 77842-9203
Phone: 409-690-8912
Fax: 409-690-6342
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: 305-273-1616
Fax: 305-273-1338; Translation Fax: 305-273-1984
E-mail: info@jsilny.com
Web: www.jsilny.com
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
P.O. Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (310) 275-3530
Fax: (310) 275-3528
Web: www.acei1.com

Please contact these agencies for fees and applications.

Special Requirements for Music and Art Majors

  • The Department of Art and Art History requires applicants to submit a portfolio unless they have previously been an art major or taken a substantial number of art courses at an accredited college or university. If your major was not Art, then you need to submit an art portfolio. Any student planning to enter Graphic Design must pass a special portfolio review. Check with the Department of Graphic Design for details. Transfers to Art History do not need to submit a portfolio. Questions should be directed to the Department of Art and Art History at 540-231-5547; vtart@vt.edu; www.art.vt.edu.
  • The Department of Music requires an audition of its applicants. For information about repertoire and schedule of auditions, contact the Department of Music at 540-231-5685; david.widder@vt.edu; www.music.vt.edu.
  • The Department of Theatre Arts does not require its applicants to submit to a talent critique. For more information, contact the department at 540-231-5335; michelle.raines@vt.edu; www.theatre.vt.edu.
  • Fall applicants are responsible for submitting a portfolio or scheduling an audition by contacting the appropriate department before January 1.

Students with Disabilities

  • Virginia Tech admits students without regard to disabling conditions. The university makes reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of students with disabilities in the university setting. In doing so, a variety of supplemental services are offered to help offset the functional disadvantages of a disability and help increase students’ educational opportunities.
  • For evaluation and assistance, students with disabilities attending Virginia Tech should contact: Services for Students with Disabilities, 152 Henderson Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24061; 540-231-3787; TTY 540-231-9175; ssd@vt.edu.
  • Applicants with disabilities who desire assistance or accommodation in the application or admission process should notify: Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 201 Burruss Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24061; 540-231-6267; TTY 540-231-9175; vtadmiss@vt.edu.

Evaluation of Transfer Credit

  • Native Virginia Community College graduates with associate degrees based upon a baccalaureate oriented sequence of courses, who are offered admission to Virginia Tech, will be granted junior level status upon admission, recognizing that it may take such students longer than two years to complete the baccalaureate because of prerequisites in the major, other requirements or circumstances.
  • Virginia Community College students who are offered admission and who have been certified as having completed the Virginia Community College Transfer Module and have a grade of "C" or better in each course of the Module will have fulfilled a portion of the University Core Curriculum requirements.
  • Transfer students from colleges other than Virginia community colleges and Virginia community college students who have not completed the Transfer Module or who have completed the associate degree will have their official final transcript(s) from all colleges previously attended evaluated for transfer credit by the Office of the University Registrar. Courses from another college in which a grade of "C-" or lower was earned, as well as courses taken on a pass/fail basis, are not acceptable for transfer credit. Only grades of "C" or higher in courses consistent with those offered at Virginia Tech are certified for transfer credit. Courses for which a student received Credit by Exam or Advanced Placement credit at another university will be re-evaluated for transfer credit at Virginia Tech. Up to 50 percent of the credits required for graduation from Virginia Tech may be transferred from two year colleges. All accepted transfer credits are used in the computation of academic eligibility requirements. A list of college/departmental contacts is provided on p. 91. Evaluation is made after you have been offered admission. A student must receive credit for at least 90 semester hours to be classified as a senior. The senior year, with a minimum of 27 of the last 45 semester hours, must be completed at Virginia Tech.
  • Students who wish to appeal their evaluation of credits should consult their Academic Dean's office.

Computer Requirements

  • All students are required to have their own personal computer. Specifications vary by major. Students who accept the offer of admission will receive information regarding model requirements and available purchase options. For more information about the computer requirement, send e-mail to computer.requirement@vt.edu; or visit the web site at www.compreq.vt.edu.

Applying to University Honors

  • Transfer applicants who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 in previous college work are invited to apply to University Honors. Students who have demonstrated exceptional creative ability may also request consideration for admission.
  • For more information, contact: Director, University Honors, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061; (540) 231-4591; fax: (540) 231-4522; honors @vt.edu; www.vt.edu:10021/univhonors/.

Applying to the Corps of Cadets

  • Virginia Tech’s Corps of Cadets is open to all students and is a university program dedicated to developing tomorrow’s leaders. While participating in a full-time, military academy life-style, cadets hone their leadership, time management, and decision-making skills. As an addition to their chosen academic track, cadets have the opportunity to receive a minor in leadership through the Corps of Cadets Leader Development program. Cadets are not required to participate in ROTC, but all ROTC students must be members of the Corps. All cadets – except juniors or seniors living with their spouses – are required to live in university residence halls unless excused by the commandant. The Corps offers scholarships that do not require military service; the ROTC programs offer some scholarships that do.
  • Contact the Commandant of Cadets, 143 Brodie Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061; phone: (540) 231-6413; toll-free: 888-VTCORPS (882-6777); fax: (540) 231-3443; vtcorps @vt.edu; or www.vtcc.vt.edu