Virginia Tech

2008-2009 Transfer Guide

Financial Aid Information


Cost of Attendance

    Costs for the academic year (fall and spring semesters) are provided on the University Bursar’s website at Tuition and fees are listed as wll as links to costs for housing and dining plans. Students should also consider other indirect costs such as personal expenses for travel, laundry, and entertainment when planning personal budgets.

    Registered students will be billed based on actual costs. The exact cost for room and board will vary based on the student’s selection of residence hall and meal plan.

    Tuition, fees, and other costs incurred at the university are financial obligations of the student and are due based on payment terms established by the university. Students can access actual charges assessed on the University Bursar’s website at Students should regularly monitor their individual billing statements on Hokie SPA at The University Bursar notifies students by email when monthly billing statements are prepared. It is the responsibility of the student to give parents electronic access to the student’s bill. Additional information is available on the University Bursar’s website. The undergraduate catalog contains information concerning payment of tuition and fees. For answers to specific questions, contact the Office of the University Bursar at (540) 231-6277 or

Financial Aid Information

    The university offers financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and work study opportunities. These awards are from federal, state, institutional and private sources. Information on these programs is available from the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid, 200 Student Services Building, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061; (540) 231-5179; or at The website includes links to other information sources for financial aid and links to free scholarship searches. We encourage students to explore our website for answers to their financial aid questions. Additional help is available through email at Students should regularly monitor their email for information and requests about financial aid. Virginia Tech also offers a financial aid newsletter, FLASHMAIL, to anyone interested in subscribing. All current students are automatically subscribed. Subscription information is available at

    You should begin the financial aid application process as soon as possible after January 1 each year.

    Part-time students are not eligible for aid through most programs, except the Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Programs. Students working on a second undergraduate degree may be eligible for Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loan, and Federal Direct Stafford Loan Programs.

How and When to Apply for Financial Aid

    The financial aid application process begins with completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who wish to apply for general scholarships at Virginia Tech must also complete the online General Scholarship Application. The University deadline is March 11 for both the FAFSA and the General Scholarship Application. Please visit for details about the application process.

    Students and families are encouraged to explore the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid and Office of the University Bursar websites to learn more about the cost of a Virginia Tech education and options to consider. There are a variety of choices for meeting the costs of a Virginia Tech education that families may want to consider in preparation for attendance.

    Completing the FAFSA is required for all need-based financial aid programs administered by Virginia Tech as well as for many scholarship programs.

    Additional requirements are listed on the FAFSA application. The FAFSA is available beginning January 1 at Students who are awarded financial aid by Virginia Tech's Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid will receive additional information in the award notification available on Hokie SPA. An email is sent notifying the student of award notification availability and of any revisions to the original award. The award notification may include additional instructions for the student to complete before financial aid is disbursed to the student’s account.

Important Financial Aid Deadlines

    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the General Scholarship Application must be received by Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid by March 11 each year. Students are encouraged to complete the applications early to receive the maximum amount of assistance. Requests for additional information to complete the process will be sent to the student's Virginia Tech email address and can also be viewed on Hokie SPA.

Other Sources of Assistance

    Virginia Tech offers the Budget Tuition Plan through the University Bursar's Office to give students and parents the option to pay tuition and fees in monthly installments through automatic drafts from a personal checking account. Information is mailed by the Office of University Bursar to all incoming students prior to the billing period. The form can also be printed from their website,

    The Parent Loan (PLUS) Program and the unsubsidized Direct Federal Stafford Loan Program have no income ceiling. Students not awarded need-based financial aid may apply if they have completed and submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and PLUS Application, as necessary. The student must check the box on the FAFSA that indicates their interest in borrowing from student loan programs.

    Transfer students are encouraged to monitor the total indebtedness in all student loan programs at all colleges and universities attended. Aggregate loan maximums for academic study are available at

Financial Aid for International Students

    Most international students (with the exception of certain refugees) are not eligible for financial aid administered by the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid. An international student who holds an I-151 or I-551 Alien Registration Receipt Card may meet the citizenship requirements to apply for federally-funded assistance, as may a noncitizen who holds an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) showing status as a "refugee," "adjustment applicant," "conditional entrant," or "indefinite parole," or an official statement showing that asylum has been granted. Eligible non-residents must present their visa or alien registration card to the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid, when requested.

Introduction | Financial Aid | Requirements | Undergraduate Majors | VCCS Transfer Policy | Curriculum for Liberal Education
Course Recommendations, VT Major | VCCS Equivalents | RBC Equivalents | Contacts | VCC Addresses

Office of University Registrar
About Us