2018-2019 Transfer Guide

You are considered to be a transfer applicant if you have attempted 12 or more credit hours at another college or university any time following graduation from high school.


Transfer Requirements

The University minimum high school requirements to be considered for admission are below. Although the admissions committee considers applicants with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale), most competitive applicants will present a GPA of 3.0 or better. In majors where applications exceed available space, such as architecture, business, communication, computer science, industrial design, and engineering, the competitive GPA may be even higher. In addition to a strong overall performance, a key component of creating a competetive transfer application to Virginia Tech is having successfully completed certain course prerequisites prior to admission, as to demonstrate your ability to jump right into your intended program and perform at a high level. Make sure you are on the right track for your major with our Admissions Transfer Roadmaps.

Minimum High School Requirements

Whether or not you have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate, you still must meet minimum requirements for admission and must present academic records that are competitive with those of other applicants. All transfer applicants, including those who have completed an associate's degree, must have completed the following minimum requirements:

  • English - four high school units, or one transferable semester of college-level freshman English.
  • Math - three high school units, including algebra I and II and geometry. Preference will be given to those who complete math beyond algebra II. A fourth unit of math is required for engineering, building construction, computer science, geophysics, mathematics, physics, and statistics majors; it is also strongly recommended for majors in the Pamplin College of Business. The fourth unit of math must include one-half unit of trigonometry and one-half unit of advanced algebra or higher math. The minimum college equivalent would be 3 semester hours of transferable math equivalent to Tech's MATH 1014, Precalculus with Transcendental, or MATH 1525, Calculus with Matrices.
  • Social Science - two high school units or one semester of a transferable college equivalent.
  • Laboratory Science - two high school units chosen from biology, chemistry, or physics or one semester of transferable college science, including laboratory.
  • Be in good standing at all colleges and universities attended.

Foreign Language Requirement

By the time students graduate from the university, a language study requirement must be met.

Foreign Language
For most majors the minimum requirement may be met in high school by completing 2 units of a single foreign or classical language (3 units for those students who will graduate from certain majors within Virginia Tech’s College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences and College of Science).

The requirement also may be met after admission by one of the following:

  1. Earning 6 semester hours of college-level foreign or classical language credit. Such credits are in addition to those normally required for graduation in a student's program of study.
  2. Receiving credit by examination for a foreign or classical language.

Choice of Major

Transfer applicants must select a specific major. Transfers may not apply to University Studies (US), Explore Technology (XT), or any of the undecided majors within academic colleges.


Find the Transfer Application Checklist here: https://vt.edu/admissions/transfer/checklist.html

International Student Requirements

A special application for undergraduate international transfer students is available online.

International applicants must meet all transfer requirements as stated on the admission international transfer website:

Non-English transcripts and documents must be submitted in original form, with a certified English translation. A detailed description of each course or subject studied (including textbook used and author) must be submitted. Applications without this information cannot be considered. Graduates of 13-year systems must submit syllabi for their final year of study. It is required for International applicants seeking to transfer to Virginia Tech have any and all credentials from international educational system(s) evaluated by a professional credential evaluation service. Transfer credit will not be awarded until the evaluation and official transcript are received by the Office of the University Registrar. Please note: This is a requirement of the Office of the University Registrar, who is responsible for transcript evaluation. However, having this done will also aid the Admissions Committee.

The following professional agencies are among those recognized by Virginia Tech:

Global Credential Evaluators
P.O. Box 9203
College Station, TX 77842-9203 USA
Phone: 800-707-0979
Fax: 512-528-9293
Web: www.gceus.com
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
9461 Charleville Blvd, Box #188
Beverly Hills, CA 90212 USA
Phone: (310) 275-3530
Fax: (310) 275-3528
Web: www.acei-global.org
E-mail: acei@acei-global.org
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
P. O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 USA
Phone: 414-289-3400
Fax: 414-289-3411
Web: www.ece.org
Email: eval@ece.org

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173 USA
Phone: 305-273-1616
Fax: 305-273-1338; Translation Fax: 305-273-1984
E-mail: info@jsilny.com
Web: www.jsilny.com
World Education Services (WES)1
ATTN: Documentation Center
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087 USA
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100
Web: www.wes.org

Please contact these agencies for fees and applications.

1WES evaluations do not adhere to the standard conversion for ECTS credits of 2:1; therefore, the credit conversion for these evaluations will be disregarded.

Special Requirements for Music and Art Majors

The Department of Music requires an audition of its applicants. For information about repertoire and schedule of auditions, contact the Department of Music at musicadmissions@vt.edu; http://www.performingarts.vt.edu/study-with-us/music/music-admissions.

The Department of Theatre Arts does not require its applicants to submit to a talent critique. For more information, contact the department at 540-231-5335; theatreandcinema@vt.edu.

Fall applicants are responsible for submitting a portfolio or scheduling an audition by contacting the appropriate department before January 1.

Students with Disabilities

Virginia Tech admits students without regard to disabling conditions. The university makes reasonable accommodations to meet the needs of students with disabilities in the university setting. In doing so, a variety of supplemental services are offered to help offset the functional disadvantages of a disability and help increase students’ educational opportunities.

For evaluation and assistance, students with disabilities attending Virginia Tech should contact: Services for Students with Disabilities, Lavery Hall, Suite 310, Blacksburg, VA 24061; 540-231-3788; ssd@vt.edu.

Applicants with disabilities who desire assistance or accommodation in the application or admission process should notify: Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 925 Prices Fork Road, Blacksburg, VA 24061; 540-231-6267; admissions@vt.edu.

Evaluation of Transfer Credit

Native Virginia Community College graduates with associate degrees based upon a baccalaureate-oriented sequence of courses, who are offered admission to Virginia Tech, will be granted junior level status upon admission and will have fulfilled requirements for the University General Education (Curriculum for Liberal Education), recognizing that it may take such students longer than two years to complete the baccalaureate because of prerequisites in the major or other requirements or circumstances.

Transfer students from colleges other than Virginia community colleges, Virginia community college students who have not completed the associate degree, and VCCS Associate Degree graduates who are not considered native degree graduates (any courses completed from any other school besides a VCCS institution) will have their official final transcript(s) from all colleges previously attended evaluated for transfer credit by the Office of the University Registrar. Courses from another college in which a grade of "C-" or lower was earned, as well as courses taken on a pass/fail or audit basis, are not acceptable for transfer credit. Only grades of "C" or higher in courses consistent with those offered at Virginia Tech are certified for transfer credit. Courses for which a student received Credit by Exam or Advanced Placement credit at another university will not be accepted for transfer credit at Virginia Tech. Contact the College Board to have AP scores sent directly to the Virginia Tech Registrar to be evaluated for credit at Virginia Tech. Up to 50 percent of the credits required for graduation from Virginia Tech may be transferred from two year colleges. All accepted transfer credits are used in the computation of academic eligibility requirements, but are not computed in the GPA. A list of college/departmental contacts is provided. Evaluation is made after you have been offered admission. A student must receive credit for at least 90 semester hours to be classified as a senior. The senior year, with a minimum of 27 of the last 45 semester hours, must be completed at Virginia Tech.

Students who wish to appeal their evaluation of credits should consult their Academic Dean's office.

Military Credits

Credit will be awarded for those courses equivalent to courses offered at Virginia Tech in which the student has earned a grade of "C" or better.

The Office of the University Registrar and the academic college dean of which the student is majoring will determine the credits required for graduation.

The American Council on Education (ACE) recognizes the educational value of military training and experience. Therefore, military credit will be awarded at Virginia Tech for those courses in which the student has earned a grade of "C" or better. Virginia Tech accepts military service records based on Joint Services Transcripts (JST) and will consider ACE recommendations when awarding credit. Complete details about how transfer work is awarded is available at:  http://www.tranguide.registrar.vt.edu/.  An official transcript must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar for evaluation of credit.

The Office of the University Registrar, along with the Academic Deans within the colleges of Virginia Tech, will determine the appropriate transfer credit to apply toward the degree. For details concerning how credits may apply please visit: http://www.registrar.vt.edu/registration/transfer/index.html

Below are the types of credit that may be awarded:

Type of Credit:

Applies To:

Reviewed By:

Credit from regionally accredited institutions of higher education

All Undergraduate degree seeking students

Office of the University Registrar and Academic Dean

Military Service

All Undergraduate degree seeking students

Office of the University Registrar and Academic Dean


All Undergraduate degree seeking students

Office of the University Registrar and Academic Dean

DSST Exams

All Undergraduate degree seeking students

Office of the University Registrar and Academic Dean

Excelsior College Examination

All Undergraduate degree seeking students

Office of the University Registrar and Academic Dean

Individualized Portfolio Evaluation

Does not apply to Virginia Tech



Does not apply to Virginia Tech


For questions pertaining to transfer credit for military education and training, please contact the Office of the University Registrar at 540-231-6252 or transfercredit@vt.edu

Computer Requirements

All entering students are required to have their own personal computer. Specifications vary by major. Information regarding model requirements and available purchase options is updated by May 1 on the Computer Requirement website. For more information about the computer requirement, visit www.compreq.vt.edu or send email to computer.requirement@vt.edu

Applying to University Honors

Transfer applicants who have a cumulative GPA of 3.60 in previous college work are invited to apply to University Honors. Students who have demonstrated exceptional creative ability may also request consideration for admission.

For more information, contact: Director, University Honors, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061; (540) 231-4591; fax: (540) 231-4522; honors@vt.edu; www.honorscollege.vt.edu.

Applying to the Corps of Cadets

Virginia Tech's Corps of Cadets is open to all students and is a residential learning community that is dedicated tp developing tomorrow's leaders. While participating in a full-time, military academy life-style, cadets in one of two tracks: Military-or-Citizen-Leader, hone their leadership, time management, and decision-making skills. In addition to their chosen academic track, cadets have the opportunity to receive a minor in leadership through the Corps of Cadets Leader Development program. Cadets are not required to participate in ROTC, but all ROTC students must be members of the Corps. All cadets - except juniors or seniors living with their spouses - are required to live in university residence halls for four years unless excused by the Commandant. The Corps offers scholarships that do not require military service; the ROTC programs offer some scholarships that do.

Contact the Commandant of Cadets, 141 Lane Hall, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061; phone: (540) 231-6858; fax: (540) 231-3443; corpsofcadets@vt.edu; www.vtcc.vt.edu.